This op-ed piece appeared in New York Newsday on August 14, 1990. I remember having food poisoning the morning it came out and barely managing to get from the apartment where I lived, on 85th and Riverside Drive, over to the Broadway newsstand to pick up a copy:


By Richard Grayson

I am a writer living in exile in New York City. Currently I am involved in smuggling forbidden works to the people of my homeland, whose government would immediately arrest me if I were caught. But
I'm not a Chinese dissident, or a member of the African National Congress, or a freedom fighter from a totalitarian nation.

I'm a snowbird.

I live in South Florida much of the year but return to New York every May. I enjoy the contrasts between the streetlife on Manhattan's Upper West Side and the palm trees and swimming pools of Broward County. And I dislike northern winters and tropical

For months I had followed the controversy involving the rap group 2 Live Crew and the sexually brutal lyrics on their album, "As Nasty As They Wanna Be." Two judges have ruled that the band's songs violate Florida's obscenity laws. I have listened to people
argue the issues on Miami talk shows and in the local newspapers, and I have discussed censorship with my writing classes at South Florida colleges.

Several months ago, Broward County sheriff Nick Navarro arrested a record store owner for selling the album.

As a writer who has received government funds for my fiction, I had been shocked when Sen. Jesse Helms succeeded in placing content restrictions on grants from the National Endowment for the Arts. Helms and his right-wing allies kept saying that the issue
wasn't one of censorship but of abuse of government funding. They assured us they would let the free marketplace take care of art they deemed obscene. But apparently the free market wasn't working in 2 Live Crew's case; their album has sold over a million copies, and not one penny from the taxpayers was involved.

I thought a lot about this as I took a 40-block stroll on upper Broadway one evening. Stopping in at record stores along the way, I found a few copies of "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" in most of them. It seemed absurd that in New York I could buy the album with no problem, but in Fort Lauderdale I could not.

Late that night I hit on a way to fight the Florida censors. I wrote a press release announcing the formation of Radio Free Broward, dedicated to sending the 2 Live Crew album to fans in the
"captive counties" of South Florida that were covered by the federal judge's ruling. Calling myself a member of the "snowbird exile community," I faxed the press release to South Florida news organizations. Soon I was giving interviews to local radio and TV stations and newspapers.

Since the Radio Free Broward story was covered in the media, including on MTV, I've received over 20 letters and calls from South Florida residents asking how to get a copy of the 2 Live Crew recording. I send back letters quoting a price and explaining that
I'm not making any profit, just covering my costs. I've filled half a dozen orders so far, sending the obscene materials via the U.S. Postal Service. (It's not obscene on my end, so it's legal to ship the recording, postal inspectors have told me.) Almost every day, another query or order arrives.
There have been some interesting letters. One, from a Miami Beach man who told me he was born in Cuba, said the actions of the federal judge and the Broward County sheriff, both Cuban Americans, made him feel as if he were still living in a communist country.
The saddest query came from someone who was afraid to give me his name. The writer had me send the album to a post-office box and paid me cash. Perhaps he feared entrapment, but it disturbs me that a U.S. citizen who just wants to buy a record feels like a criminal.

I also got an unsigned postcard (palm trees on the back) that read: "You are a pig and your mind is in the sewer. . . Stay in New York!"

The truth is, I haven't heard a single cut from "As Nasty As They Wanna Be." I have no interest in the kind of lyrics 2 Live Crew's songs contain. But as a writer, I can't abide any words, however vulgar or sexist or anti-Semitic or homophobic, being
banned in the United States.

So while I'd prefer that people spend their time and money on different kinds of music - or better yet, on my own books - I'm determined to give my fellow Floridians the same rights I enjoy while I'm living in New York. The last time I checked, Broward County was still covered by the same Constitution as Manhattan
and Brooklyn.

Here’s an article that I published in The Orlando Sentinel on July 8, 1995. I was working as a staff attorney in a think tank in Gainesville, Florida, back then. The Sentinel had this feature called “Saturday Special” where they asked readers to write pieces about a specific topic. The topic here was to write about the best advice you’d ever gotten from anyone:


By Richard Grayson

In the summer of 1980 my life was a mess.

I was broke and out of work. I had just gotten over a long illness. My car needed repairs that I couldn't afford. My friend Janice was in New York Hospital, dying of breast cancer. In the same hospital, my grandfather had just been diagnosed with lung
cancer. My grandmother, terrified of losing him, had retreated into a severe depression.

I didn't know what to do about any of this as I sat quietly by my grandfather's hospital bed one evening when he gave me the best unsolicited advice I've ever received:

Don't listen to unsolicited advice.

Actually, he put it differently. Grandpa Herb, a Russian immigrant, had never gone beyond grade school (although he still managed to write better than most of the college students I taught) and spent his life in the Navy, the garment industry and, in retirement, on a recliner with a TV remote control in his hand.
What my grandfather said, unprompted by anything that had gone before, was:

"Don't listen to people who give you advice you don't ask for."

Then he added a corollary to what I've come to think of as Grandpa Herb's Law of Gratuitous Opinions:

"Don't give advice to other people, either, unless they ask for it." Grandpa Herb explained that the best way to deal with other people was to assume that they already had better information about their own lives than anyone else.

"But that's not true!" I protested. "I know so many people who . . . ."

Taking a drag on his cigarette, Grandpa interrupted me. "Of course it isn't true! But you have to deal with people as if it is. Pretend they know best about how to live their lives, and if they ask you for advice, don't tell them what to do - just give them


"Facts they can use to come to their own decision," Grandpa said, stifling a cough.

The advice was fresh in my memory a few days later when, again at Grandpa's bedside, I didn't say a word as he told his doctor - a young man about my age - that he was rejecting medical advice to have surgery or chemotherapy, and that he just wanted to go home
and live out whatever time he had left.

The doctor sighed and told Grandpa Herb that he thought he was making a mistake. But then the doctor said: "Well, I've laid out all the facts. If that's your decision, fine. . . . We'll help you along as best we can."

A few months later, exhausted by four part-time teaching jobs that I had cobbled together to get back on my financial feet, I decided to move to Florida. Most of my friends advised me not to do this. My grandfather probably didn't want me to move so far away, but he never objected to my decision or even questioned it. Nor did I hear the remark that is the hallmark of one whose unsolicited advice is spurned: "Well, I hope you know what you're doing."

A couple of years later, just before he died, I spoke to Grandpa on the phone. He said he was glad I was doing well in Florida and asked, "just out of curiosity," who had advised me to move there in
the first place.

"Nobody," I replied. "Most everyone told me not to move. But I didn't listen."

He didn't say anything, but I like to think he remembered the advice he had given me - to not take or give advice.

My friend Jerry called recently to tell me that his niece in Pensacola had been accepted at a prestigious New England college. Could I give them some advice about financial aid? A couple of months ago, I had taken his niece around Gainesville and shown her
the University of Florida. It occurred to me that, given her family's financial situation, everyone might be better off if she attended UF, where she could get a fine education for much less money than at the New England college. Remembering my grandfather's advice, however, I gave Jerry only facts - information about the various grants and loans, financial aid priority deadlines and scholarship opportunities - that he could pass along to his niece.

Even a 17-year-old girl is in the best position to make a decision about her own life.

Of course, that isn't really true. But as Grandpa Herb said, when you're dealing with other people, you have to pretend as though it is. That's what I try to do.

I would tell you to do the same thing - but only if you asked me first.

Here's another article I did for the Orlando Sentinel. It appeared on Nov. 12, 1994:


By Richard Grayson

My favorite weekend activity is something I do alone in the dark. Most Saturday afternoons, I can be found in a movie theater, spending a dollar or two on a film that opened and closed at first-run theaters months or weeks before.
In Florida, it's hard to escape the bright sun, especially in the summer, and I used to be a sun-worshiper myself, lying out by the pool in search of the perfect tan. That was before I turned 40,
however, and a suspicious-looking mole on my back was removed by a dermatologist's knife. Now, wary of skin cancer - and not too thrilled about wrinkles, either - I've discovered an alternative to slathering myself with cocoa butter and waiting for my melanin to
kick in and bronze my epidermis. I've gone back to a pleasure from childhood and adolescence: Saturday afternoon at the movies.

I still go to movies in the evenings, of course, but those are social occasions, accompanied by friends or family. My Saturday matinee trips to dollar theaters are solo affairs, time reserved for myself.

When I was a kid, of course, I went to Saturday matinees with friends or sometimes my brother. In the 1950s and early 1960s most theaters were giant uniplexes, with one screen, and our Saturday
moviegoing consisted of forgettable double features spent trying to harass the elderly matrons who patrolled the children's section with their black flashlights and sour expressions.

Going to the movies in the daytime is a different experience than doing it at night. Sometimes I think the best part is still what I thought it was when I was a kid: when you come out and your eyes are not adjusted to the brightness of day, so that, for a few
minutes, you feel like an extraterrestrial from The Dark Planet who has to adapt suddenly to Earth's alien environment. The sensation of your eyes adjusting half-hurts, but it's also pleasant, like a rough Swedish massage.

For some reason, human eyes adjust to the dark from brightness more quickly. I like to get to the theater early and sit before the trailers and theater announcements begin. Something about an empty
theater reminds me of a church before the service begins: quiet and cool and much more suited to prayer than when it is filled with parishioners.

Very few people go to the movies on Saturday afternoons. Some folks take their kids, but I try to go to films that kids would have no interest in. (Why would anyone take a 5-year-old to see Four Weddings and a Funeral?) Often my only companions in the
audience are just half a dozen others, many of them lone wolves like myself. We spread apart, scattering ourselves at wide distances from one another. Several times I have been the sole member of the audience, and on those occasions I have felt amazingly powerful, as if I were some movie mogul or millionaire who had commanded a show be put on for himself. For a dollar or $2.50, that's not a bad deal.

Most often the movies I see are instantly forgettable. However, as I always tell my friends who wonder about my matinee pastime, "For a dollar, how bad could it be?"

I think my Saturday afternoon cinema experiences are so enjoyable mostly because I expect so little from them. I never expect a really good movie. Then, too, the idea of going to the movies in the daytime reminds me of the adolescent pleasures of playing hooky. There's something slightly wicked about being in a cool, dark theater when your neighbors are doing things like gardening, playing tennis, or shopping in the mall.

For a dollar, I get a couple of hours of luxury - not to mention second-rate acting, third-rate dialogue, and forgettable screen moments.

To me, it's a real bargain.

This article, co-written with editor Fred Bernstein, appeared in People on April 7, 1986. I got paid more for this than I've ever gotten paid for any other piece of writing, including books. You'll notice how it refers to celebrities that nobody would remember today. I guess that was part of the point. They illustrated this article with a photos of a "celebrity" with a paper bag over her head posing for paparazzi before the Hollywood sign and another photo of "Barbara Walters" (a director's chair with her name on it, with a lookalike, at least from the back) interviewing a tree. The nice memory I have about this article, besides the check from Time Inc. (before it was Time Warner or AOL Time Warner), was a letter they printed a few weeks later. It said how People should print more funny articles like this one, and was signed "Phyllis Diller":


By Richard Grayson and Fred Bernstein

In New York, paparazzi, driven insane by a growing shortage of celebrities, began to photograph each other. In Los Angeles, tables at Spago are suddenly easier to get than splinters on a boardwalk. All over the country gossip columnists are beginning to reveal their own indiscretions.

Then just as it seems as if things couldn't be worse, officials at Walt Disney begin making plans to thaw out their founder. Syndicated TV's Robin Leach offers to interview "The Rich but Practically Unknown." In Washington, the President personally
appeals to Elizabeth Taylor to marry somebody the public hasn't heard of yet. And all three Gabor sisters appear on a single episode of Merv.

These scenes could soon become reality if the United States doesn't take action to stop the rapidly dwindling supply of celebrities within its borders. The problem, according to dozens of star watchers on both coasts and maybe one or two in the middle of
the country, is that the American public has been consuming celebrities at an ever-increasing rate while failing to take steps to replenish the supply. Analysts estimate that to keep up with demand, the United States needs to produce at least two new
celebrities every day. But in 1985 that didn't happen, and the demand for celebrities outstripped supply for the first time in our history.

For centuries there were plenty of celebrities to go around. (Did you ever wonder why the U.S. government bothered with a $50 bill? There were too many former Presidents for just the useful
denominations.) As recently as 22 years ago, talk show host Ed Sullivan had so many guests waiting to get on his program that the Beatles, in their first U.S. television appearance, got only 13 1/​2 minutes. And when the powers that be in Hollywood tried to
memorialize the early movie stars on a sidewalk, they had to settle for footprints; total body prints, which were originally planned, would have required too many sidewalks. Today we have sidewalks to spare.

With the explosion of celebrity journalism in the '60s and '70s, the demand for stars continued to increase, while the number of household names leveled off. For a while the problem was kept under wraps. Although the U.S. had formerly been the leading
celebrity-producing nation in the world, it imported just enough foreign stars, such as Boy George (British), Olivia Newton-John (Australia) and Michael Jackson (Uranus), to alleviate the immediate shrinking of the available pool of famous people. At the
same time Americans resisted what they perceived as a flood of low-quality celebrities from foreign parts. Meanwhile other countries have been importing U.S. stars in record numbers (France can have Jerry Lewis, but only Lewis).

Some star searchers scoff at the notion of a shortage. They believe it's all a plot on the part of a cartel of greedy agents to drive up the price of celebrities. But, according to a source close to Pia Zadora (who may soon be the most talented person in
America), the fame drain in a real, not a manufactured,
development. Reports of celebrity-filled cruise ships floating outside New York harbor, waiting for prices to go up, are almost certainly false. (It's easy to understand how such a rumor might have started: Someone watched Love Boat and thought it was a
documentary.) Nor is it any accident that an article about Madonna and Sean Penn appears iin every edition of your hometowm newspaper. There simply aren't enough celebrities to go around.

Why is this a problem? Imagine if Barbara Walters had to interview trees ("If you were a star, what kind of star would you be?"). Imagine the chaos in Manhattan if thousands of writers, directors and limousine drivers were suddenly without work. Imagine if there were no one to join the President for White House photo-opportunity sessions.

In the optimistic '60s, Andy Warhol predicted that in the future everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. But Warhol could not have foreseen that nearly 20 years later, few young Americans would want to serve their society as superstars. Recent surveys of high school and college students indicate that the percentage who plan to be celebrities has fallen to its lowest point in 50 years. Embarrassed by attention, wary of the lack of a clear career ladder
in the world of celebrityhood, young Americans are avoiding the spotlight in record numbers. Only three percent of college freshmen agreed with the statment that "becoming a celebrity is a worthwhile goal."
Sadly, the few who do intend to become famous
tend to have lower SAT scores and less photogenic faces than their media-shy classmates. The youth of the '80s seem set on low-profile, high-security careers in accounting, computer programming and corporate law. These students have spent their
lives watching and reading about celebrities, and they have seen that making it as a star requires more hard work, stamina and plastic surgery than they can stand.

It takes so long to become a successful celebrity," said one Fort Lauderdale marketing major. "Look at Don Johnson.Sure, he's made it now, but it took him a long time. If I waited that long
before celebrityhood paid off, how could I pay back my studentloans?"

Long hours, "flashbulb blindness," writer's cramp from signing autographs -- these are the reasons the new generation has decided to drop out of the celebrity sweepstakes. The heavy price the famous pay in the form of drug and alcohol abuse, divorce and bad
haircuts has not gone unnoticed by the youth of today. "These kids are conformists," one professor complains. "They just don't like to stand out in a crowd and have people crawl all over then. What,
I ask, has happened to the values that produced such role models as Ed McMahon and Dr. Ruth?"

Are there any solutions to the shortfall of stars?
Celebritologists say that drastic measures are necessary. Certainly future celebrity creation is vital, but that will not solve the short-run problems. The American public must learn to
conserve celebrities, to make do with just one supermarket tabloid,one juicy tidbit about Larry "Bud" Melman each week. President Reagan, a celebrity for most of his 75 years, is congnizant of the crisis, political analysts say. But faced with problems like the federal budget deficit, the Gipper believes that individual initiatives, not government programs, are the answer. Others have proposed a variety of solutions:

(1) A federal regulatory agency should monitor celebrity levels around the country. This agency, using convoys of stretch limos, would allocate celebrity resources where they are needed most and
issue strict guidelines on such matters as how many times a person's photo could appear in USA Today.

(2) Displaced workers, debt-burdened farmers and unemployed inner-city teenagers should be retrained. Small-scale efforts, like the proposed George Hamilton Institute in Youngstown, Ohio, are already getting under way.

(3) Youngsters should be encouraged to volunteer their services. Chapters of Future Celebrities of America could be set up in every grammar school, and programs in celebrity literacy (i.e., how to
talk back to Joan Rivers) instituted in the primary grades.

(4) Academics should recognize celebritology as a distinct dicipline and should create departments and majors in the field. Scholoarships would be offered to students who composed the best answer to the question, "Why do you want to sit next to Madonna at
the Grammys?"

(5) Penalties for celebrity abuse must be made more stringent. Otherwise our most talented celebrities will decide that being on Donahue just isn't worth the effort. Too many authors are already
spending the majority of their time writing rather than hitting the talk show circuit.

Though the future seems bleak, dramatic breakthroughs are possible as technology progresses. Some scientists, for example, believe it is entirely likely that celebrities exist on planets outside our solar system. There may be enough talk show guests and
magazine cover subjects in the Milky Way galaxy to satisfy all of America's celebrity needs for the next 200 years.

After all, Americans are relatively lucky compared with others with whom we share Soundstage Earth. In Communist Eastern Europe, men and women live and die without ever seeing a single celebrity. Cruising Moscow's back streets and sinister black marketeers who
whisper to passersby and then fling open their raincoats to reveal tantalizing photos of Princess Stephanie and Rambo.

But the real answer lies not in our own stars but in ourselves. We must look for our future celebrities in unexpected places: In our own communities, on the job and even among members of our family. The best and the brightest of us should prepare to meet
the challenge. If Mike the Dog can make the acrifice, can we expect any less of ourselves?

This article appeared in The Arizona Republic on November 5, 2000. I had been living in the Phoenix area for just a few months, and as it turned out, I really had a hard time there. About the time this piece appeared, I was having a nervous breakdown or what was diagnosed as generalized anxiety disorder. I blamed a lot of it on Arizona, which in retrospect seems unfair. As the nurse practitioner who diagnosed me said, "I think you've had this all your life." Anyway, I moved back to South Florida in December 2001. There are some things I miss about Arizona, but South Florida, along with New York City, feels like home for now:


By Richard Grayson

A few weeks after moving to Arizona last spring, I was sitting in the café of a Valley megabookstore, staring out the window at the multiscreen theater and big-box stores on the other side of the shopping center. About to drive home, I fretted about the heavy traffic I'd be facing on the Florida Turnpike.

Then I noticed the mountains.

Shaken, I realized I was in the Ahwatukee Foothills and not in Boca Raton.

Less than a year away from official AARP-dom, I had just experienced my first "senior moment."

Upon further reflection, however, I recognized that my mistake was quite natural, considering I was in a "power center" which almost exactly resembled one I frequented near my former home in South Florida - down to the layout of the Barnes & Noble and the number of theaters (24) with stadium seating in the AMC megaplex.

Actually, everything was pretty much the same as in other shopping centers I'd been to in recent years, from Saratoga, Calif. and Garden City, N.Y. to Billings, Mont. and Willow Grove, Pa. Oh sure, the misters cooling off outdoor diners at the trendy restaurants should have clued me in as to the desert locale, but the slight variation from the norm only seemed to emphasize the similarity.

That was the moment I knew Arizona was home.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like every other place.

I live in a garden apartment in Mesa, just off the Superstition Freeway at Dobson Road. It is very similar to the garden apartment I lived in last year in Davie, Fla., just off an exit of Interstate 595. As in Florida, my "rental community" here has swimming pools, a tennis court and a clubhouse. Nearby are subdivisions of "executive homes" on cul-de-sacs and artificial lakes. Palm trees line the wide, traffic-clogged streets. My day-to-day environment is essentially identical to the one I experienced 2,300 miles away: a suburban neighborhood whose density has made it de facto urban. There's a bus stop nearby to use in case my car breaks down, and a Starbucks is literally our next-door neighbor. I live amid the stucco and concrete of what architecture critic Melvin Webber, describing emerging metro areas of the West, has called a "non-place urban realm."

I can walk to the same supermarket (Albertsons) and bank (Bank of America) as I could in my former suburban Fort Lauderdale neighborhood. I'm still within a five-minute drive of a regional mall, golf course, library, park, and dozens of strip malls - though I must admit that in Florida I did live a lot closer to the local branch of the University of Phoenix.

If I'm in need of "shoppertainment" in the form of outlet stores, video arcades, foreign tourists, mall TV and dining amid mechanical denizens of the rain forest, I can take myself to nearby Arizona Mills, a carbon copy of the Sawgrass Mills by my old stamping grounds.

In Scottsdale I can use my Neiman-Marcus credit card and find that once exclusively Southern confection, Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I now get my hair cut at the same worldwide chain that I've patronized in Gainesville, Fla., and Sheridan, Wyo. A short drive to Tempe and I can purchase my gourmet frozen dinners at the same Trader Joe's where I've shopped in Silicon Valley and on Long Island, and I pick up organic produce at the same Whole Foods Market I've patronized in South Florida, as well as in the suburbs of Los Angeles, New York and Philadelphia. Although I subscribe to a different local paper here, I also continue to get home delivery of The New York Times.

Adjusting to life here was a snap. After all, not only did I already own a pair of Arizona jeans and regularly consume AriZona Iced Tea (the diet green variety, mostly), but when I lived in Manhattan in the 1980s, I'd eaten at the fabulously fashionable Arizona 206. In our global economy, what more needs to be done? After all, on Planet Consumer, whatever is unique to a region is reduced to mere buyable kitsch - like the saguaro-shaped pencils on sale at the local Walgreens.

But if you're expecting a lecture filled with terms like "soulless interchangeability," "unremitting déjà vu," and "sterile artifice," you won't get it from me. The sameness is exactly what I love about my part of Arizona. I like the fact that the only way I can tell I am entering a new neighborhood is when the fast-food outlets and chain stores start to repeat themselves. To a guy who's moved around as much as I have, the uniformity represents stability. The conformity makes me comfortable.

Of course it wasn't simply a familiar environment I craved. An important reason I chose to move to Phoenix was its diversity. Before coming here, I looked at Valley phone directories to check for ample numbers of Patels and Nguyens, Rodriguezes and Changs. I need a place where supermarkets carry kimchi and kasha, quinoa and collard greens, platanos y boniatos. Where there is a large enough gay community to accommodate lesbian Scrabble leagues, gay Realtors councils, and bitter longstanding feuds. Where there are synagogues representing all major branches of Judaism, including atheism. Where I can find an Ethiopian restaurant, Caribbean music, Iranian movies, an active Green Party and local punk and hip-hop scenes.

When a childhood friend from Brooklyn, who is Sikh, informed me that within a few blocks of her Coronado district home there were two different gurudwaras, I knew the Valley had the diversity I wanted.

Whatever natural beauty Arizona has to offer is not evident in my daily life. It would probably be lost on me if it were. Having grown up in New York City, I would not care if the whole world were paved over.

My formative years occurred in an environment not altogether different from the "non-place urban realm" of Sun Belt suburbia. Our house was in a remote part of Brooklyn, a 15-minute drive to the nearest subway stop; an hour's trip to Manhattan was always called "going to the city." We had a backyard swimming pool, and I was eager to learn to drive as soon as possible.

Although our neighborhood did leave me with a sensibility equidistant between that of Seinfeld and The Sopranos, it was also a neighborhood that didn't have a name until the 1970 opening of Kings Plaza, the Big Apple's first enclosed mall, just a three-block walk from our house. It featured the same anchor department stores I can find at Fiesta Mall.

Although I loved living in Manhattan as an adult, my annual visits confirm that even that quintessential urban locale is morphing into something else. The sleazy but vibrant honky-tonk of Times Square has been replaced by an environment as safe and artificial as Main Street in Walt Disney World. Other once-distinctive neighborhoods are looking more and more like everywhere else as they are invaded by the same chain stores all around me in Mesa.

Three years ago, in order to write a new book, I left a job as an attorney in Gainesville - where I lived off an interstate highway exit in a garden apartment across the street from a series of power centers complete with the mandatory Albertsons, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, T.G.I. Friday's, and Red Lobster. For a while I lived at artists' colonies and mooched off suburban friends, mostly women I knew from my 1970s undergraduate days and their tolerant husbands. In exchange for being a charming conversationalist and doing such genuinely enjoyable tasks as picking up dry cleaning and dinner sushi, looking in on elderly grandparents at nursing homes, walking Yorkshire terriers, and accompanying third-graders on class field trips, I got a spare bedroom ("the Lincoln bedroom," my friend Nina calls it) or a futon in the den. I did my writing at Burger Kings and Borders bookstores across Power Center Nation.

The artists' colonies - Villa Montalvo, the Ucross Foundation, the Ragdale Foundation - generously gave me the luxury of time and a room of my own to write. While I enjoyed being close to such fine examples of the natural world as the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, the majestic landscape of Wyoming's high plains, and one of the last pieces of pristine prairie in the suburbs of Chicago, I often found myself abandoning nature in favor of the coffee bars of Silicon Valley, the McDonald's counter at the Wal-Mart in Sheridan, or the food court in the Northbrook Mall - places where I would sit with my iced tea or Diet Coke and scribble away to my heart's desire. The truth is I did my best work in these palaces of conspicuous consumption. Writing about American culture circa Y2K, I need bland commercial conformity for inspiration.

Arizona provides me with more than enough inspiration.

So I am happy to be an Arizonan. For now.

Like many other state residents, I don't expect to be living here for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I'll probably be moving to a place that looks just about the same.


What's below was published in Contemporary Authors, Vol. 210 (2003), 121-138. I wrote it at the beginning of 2003:

A Writer in Spite of Myself

“You should call it ‘A Writer in Spite of Himself,’” said my current therapist – my seventh since I was a teenager – of this autobiographical essay. “You know, like Moliere’s A Doctor in Spite of Himself. Tell how despite your distractions and your self-doubts, your lack of confidence and your extreme self-consciousness – your mishigass, as we say in New York – you managed to become and remain a writer.”

We were sitting in Dr. Koncsol’s office of The Psych Team in Davie, Florida, and I had been telling him how I had this mass (and mess) of “and then this happened, and then this happened” material but my that essay needed a theme.

I had been thinking of calling it “Travels of an Agoraphobic” – after a book by another neurotic, Oscar Levant’s Memoirs of an Amnesiac, because in many ways I am still that anxiety-ridden 17-year-old who barely left his room for a year.

But perhaps my therapist’s idea is better than mine. After all, his title does come closer to the sensibility of the self-conscious fiction I write, about the impossibility and desperate necessity of telling stories and the overriding fear that I’m not going to get it right.

I was born Richard Arnold Ginsberg in Brooklyn on June 4, 1951, two years after my parents, Marilyn and Daniel, had married. When I was six months old, Mom and Dad changed our Jewish last name to the ethnically neutral Grayson.

My parents had met as teenagers in the bungalows of Rockaway Beach, Queens, where their parents were summer neighbors and friends. My grandparents – Nathan and Sylvia Ginsberg, Herbert and Ethel Sarrett – had spent most of their lives in Brooklyn, but all had been born in the shtetls of Eastern Europe and had immigrated as children.

Both sets of grandparents had known each other a long time; as a boy, Grandpa Herb lived with his family next door to the family of Grandma Sylvia, many years before they would become machetunim (Yiddish for “co-parents-in-law”).

When I was born, my mother was 20, my father 24, and my grandparents in their forties.

As the psychologist who interviewed me at 15 said, first memories are often unreliable but revealing. My first memory, I told Dr. Machover, was being held up to the window and watching cars go by on Ocean Parkway. I guessed that meant I saw myself as an observer.

A story my mother tells:

When I was two, Mom left me alone with the TV on in our apartment’s “front room.” She returned to find the word Tide written in crayon on a piece of construction paper.

“What’s that?” Mom asked, startled.

“It’s Tide,” I said. “I saw it on TV.” I had copied the word from a commercial for the detergent.

My mother read to me constantly, mostly little Golden Books like The Tawny, Scrawny Lion. I would make her read them aloud over and over until I could interrupt her and recite the rest of the story from memory.

A neighbor who was a first-grade teacher brought me schoolbooks, and somehow I taught myself to read – or so I was told.

I loved books and was crazy about maps. My Uncle Matt Sarrett had given me his boyhood set of the Britannica Junior Encyclopedia and a world atlas as big as I was –an edition published during World War II which featured a large Nazi Germany which took up much of central Europe.

I memorized the capitals of the 48 states and then foreign countries. In restaurants, Grandpa Herb would show off my talents to the other diners. He wanted me to go on the kid quiz show Take a Giant Step, but I was too nervous.

I was always “nervous.” I was afraid of school, traveling, dentists, swimming, vomiting, bridges, airplanes, suffocation, and getting up on stage. My problem with anxiety is probably partly genetic, and partly a result of my overprotective family. It resulted in a fearful childhood, panic attacks and agoraphobia in adolescence, and a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder when I was almost 50.

In the fall of 2000, the nurse-practitioner in Arizona who diagnosed me said, “I think you’ve had this your whole life.”

My two brothers are Marc, born in 1955, and Jonathan, born in 1961.

Since coming to America at the start of the twentieth century, our family had worked in New York’s garment industry. My father and Grandpa Nat owned Art Pants Company, manufacturers of men’s dress slacks. My maternal grandparents met in an underwear factory where Grandpa Herb was the foreman and Grandma Ethel sewed. My great-grandfather Max Shapiro was a furrier; my great-uncle Harry Ginsberg manufactured men’s clothes; and my first job as a teenager was in The Slack Bar, a downtown Brooklyn pants store owned by Uncle Matt and his father-in-law, where Grandpa Herb worked as a tailor.

We spent summers in at the beach in Rockaway bungalow colonies, where within one block I could find all four grandparents, my step-great-grandmother, several sets of great-aunts and great-uncles, and various in-laws of other relatives. After the bungalows were torn down in 1968, my grandparents moved from their apartments in Brooklyn to oceanfront high-rises in another part of Rockaway, across the street from one another.

In 1957, my parents moved us to a small, newly-built brick row house on East 56th Street and Avenue O, where we’d stay for the next 22 years. In 1970, New York City’s first enclosed shopping center, Kings Plaza, opened a few blocks away, and our mostly Italian and Jewish neighborhood took the name of the mall. My mother worked there, in The Pants Set, a women’s clothing store owned by Dad and Uncle Matt.

I went to New York public schools, first P.S. 244, then P.S. 203 and Junior High School 285, where I was in the SPE (Special Progress Enrichment) program. I met my friend Linda Konner, an author and literary agent, in second grade, and we were in the same classes through our graduation from Midwood High School in 1968, except for tenth grade, which I spent at a private school on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. Nearly always the shortest boy in the class, I was considered a gifted student – besting sixth-graders in geography quizzes when I was in kindergarten, reading at a tenth-grade level at age 7, writing a 70-page research paper in ninth grade – until my emotional problems caused my marks to slip into the high 80s.

When I was 15, I began having severe panic attacks daily. I would get nauseated, my heart would beat wildly, I’d sweat and shake and feel like the world was ending. The term “panic disorder” was not then known, but I realized that my problem was psychological, so I asked my parents if I could see a psychiatrist.

In the late 1960s, anxiety disorders and depression were rarely treated with medication; instead, psychoanalysis was the norm. Although I learned a lot about myself in sessions with Dr. Lippman, my panic attacks kept getting worse and more frequent. I soon began avoiding going out in public and skipped events like family weddings and my own high school graduation. The traumatic national events of my last year at Midwood H.S. – the turmoil of the Vietnam war, the assassinations of my heroes Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy – only made things harder.

I had been accepted to Brooklyn College, which then had free tuition like all City University of New York campuses. I never considered going anywhere else. I knew I could not leave my parents’ home, and BC seemed as safe as any college could be, since I walked through its campus on my way to high school.

But as it turned out, I couldn’t even handle BC. In late August, after watching antiwar protestors get beaten in the streets of Chicago during the 1968 Democratic convention, I was unable to sleep for days and began to shake uncontrollably. Mom called my pediatrician, who made a house call and prescribed the tranquilizer Librium.

A couple of weeks later, on the first day of classes, I just couldn’t face the nausea and panic I knew I’d have to endure, and I told my parents that I wasn’t well enough to go to college. I then entered a period where I gradually cut myself from the world. I stopped taking phone calls from friends, as I was too ashamed to tell anyone about my panic disorder. My agoraphobia got more severe as winter came and I rarely left the house. Yet even the safety of my little bedroom didn’t stop the panic attacks from occurring several times a day. My main refuge from anxiety was reading.

I had always loved books. Starting when I was about 9, I began collecting a huge number of paperbacks, which were then available for 25 or 50 cents. On my birthdays my parents would give me $20, which I’d take to a bookstore and buy an armful of Bantam and Signet and Pocket Books. I read voraciously – everything from books about psychology and history to trashy potboilers to classic literary works to American fiction writers I idolized: Salinger, Roth, Pynchon, Vonnegut, Updike, Mailer, Malamud, Bellow, Cheever, Baldwin, Vidal, Flannery O’Connor, John Rechy, Carson McCullers.

I also was a big fan of superhero comic books. I proudly possessed the early issues of Justice League of America, Green Lantern, Spider-Man, and Daredevil. At 11, I would pretend to be The Flash – Fastest Man Alive – as I bicycled around the neighborhood, playing hooky from Hebrew school. (The one kind of reading I did not like was in Hebrew, since we were not given the English translations for the prayers we had to recite. Reading without meaning seemed totally pointless, especially since I was an atheist like Grandpa Herb).

By the end of high school, I outgrew comics, and Mom threw out my carefully catalogued collection. I held on to the paperbacks and the hardcovers from the Book-of-the-Month Club and The Literary Guild.

I also adored movies and plays, but my panic attacks eventually stopped me from going to theaters. One of the last films I went to see before that time was Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, the adaptation of Edward Albee’s drama. The movie was considered so “adult” that even in those pre-rating days Dad needed to accompany me to the Canarsie Theater.

Housebound by agoraphobia, I was forced to get my dose of dramatic narrative from TV. Starting in junior high, I got caught up in the convoluted plots of soap operas, which have remained a guilty pleasure. I have watched some daytime dramas for over 30 years, and as a teenager I developed the theory that these slow-moving shows were the form of narrative that most closely resembled real life – except, perhaps, for the diary.

My panic attacks reached a crescendo in February 1969, and Mom insisted that my psychiatrist prescribe some medication. Although at the time it seemed a coincidence, Triavil – a combination of a tricyclic antidepressant and a tranquilizer – slowly helped relieve the anxiety. As spring approached, I started going out little by little. I still had panic attacks, but every day I would force myself to ride buses and then subways, seeing how far I could go before anxiety overwhelmed me. Eventually I could go all the way to Manhattan.

By summer, soon after my 18th birthday – when I had to register for the draft – I was well enough to start college. It was as if I had been re-hatched into a world that was new and exciting in the summer of Woodstock and the Stonewall riot.
Not only did I get an A in Political Science that summer, but I worked in New York Mayor John Lindsay’s re-election campaign and in the Manhattan headquarters of the Vietnam War Moratorium Committee. I saw plays like The Boys in the Band, The Indian Wants the Bronx, and The Toilet. I went to movies like Easy Rider, Alice’s Restaurant and Midnight Cowboy. I discovered Greenwich Village and psychedelic music and love beads and incense. I read Ramparts, The Village Voice, and The East Village Other. My hair grew long and I hung out with hippies by the fountain in Washington Square Park. I got my driver’s license and explored New York’s art museums and parks. A 23-year-old guy from the neighborhood fell in love with me. I wore fringed vests and tie-dyed shirts and a pair of bellbottom pants that my parents got for me on London’s Carnaby Street. I was still something of a nervous wreck, but even that seemed normal and maybe something to be proud of in the summer of ’69.

Of all the new things I did that summer, maybe the most important was to start a writing habit that would last a lifetime.

On Friday, August 8, 1969, I went with Jeanette, the 8-year-old daughter of our Haitian cleaning woman, Jusele Feron, to watch a young street theater group perform on the BC campus. As we walked back to Flatbush Avenue, I saw a red, book-like 1969 diary on sale at a college bookstore. Because the year was more than half over, it was cheap.

That evening, over a cup of tea, I wrote my first diary entry, and I also went back over the first seven days of August and wrote what had happened on those days and how I had felt about it. For over a third of a century, I’ve been writing daily diary entries in the same format. The diary company has changed hands several times, but the product is still basically the same one it was in 1969.

For me, what’s neat about the diary is that I’m able to go back to any day and see what happened then and what I was feeling. Sometimes I use the diary to work out ideas for stories and article ideas, though I usually use notebooks, and more recently, computer files, for that purpose. In 1980, I experimented for a while writing my diary entries in the third person (“Grayson walked across Miami Gardens Drive to Grandma Sylvia’s car; he loved being in Florida in January”), but mostly I’ve kept pretty much to the style (or lack thereof) I had in 1969. Although I wince at some of the observations of my 18-year-old or 25-year-old or 42-year-old selves, the artless, spontaneous writing in the diaries has been an important part of my life. Currently I store the diaries – now totaling over six million words – in boxes in the walk-in closet in my parents’ house in Arizona. I will eventually use them as reference material for a series of memoirs.

It took me a while to adjust to Brooklyn College, but by the end of my freshman year in the spring of 1970, I had gotten involved with student government and the newspaper. When the Cambodia invasion and the killings of student protestors at Kent State University led to a nationwide student strike, we took over the BC campus, ending the semester prematurely and staging a series of teach-ins and “liberation classes” about the war in Southeast Asia, feminism, racism, and the capitalist system. Things petered out as summer approached and students fled to the beach and cheap trips to Europe. Of course, my phobias prevented me from taking my backpack across the Atlantic, so I stayed in summer school that year.

At BC I met many of the people who would become my lifelong friends. Although it was a commuter school with no dormitories, I spent most of the day hanging out in LaGuardia Hall with other students who were active in politics, journalism, and cultural affairs.

For the first time since junior high school, I had peers with whom I shared nearly everything – from my panic attacks to my desire to be a writer, from tips on how to fail the draft physical (a letter from the psychiatrist did the trick for me) to the marijuana we passed around at gatherings like the Flat Earth Party, the Safari Awards, and the J. Edgar Hoover Death Celebration. (Alcohol was not a big part of our socializing, and I’ve always been a teetotaler.)

While I learned a lot and got good grades in my undergraduate classes, the more important discoveries I made involved my relationships with my fellow students and that my peculiarities were welcome among a community for whom the word “freak” was a high compliment. Although I knew I was mostly attracted to other guys, I found myself in deep relationships with women – some as close friends, but others as girlfriends who didn’t mind having a bisexual boyfriend as long as he was monogamous, which I was.

A breakup with a girlfriend at the beginning of my junior year put me into a funk – she left me for a friend she married a few months later (he, too, would later turn out to be gay) – but I eventually recovered from adolescent melancholy and began dating other people. In my senior year started seeing a girl I had been friends with for a while; we dated for two years before going back to being just friends.

Like many of the people I hung out with in LaGuardia Hall, Randy is still very much in my life – along with her husband and children. Luckily, my college friends have never given me too much flak for appropriating events in their lives for my fiction. To them, I was “Richie the writer” even before I’d published a single word.

When I was in high school, plays seemed easier to write than fiction because I didn’t have to deal with long passages of description. My stories have never been heavy on description of people and places. Rarely do I say what my fictional characters look like. Except for some stage directions, plays were pure dialogue and easier for me to write.

Most of my teenage plays were outright homages to Albee. A long one-act play I wrote at 15, Have You Seen Grandma Since She Got Rich?, featured a vulgar old lady – nothing like my beloved but prudish Grandma Sylvia and Grandma Ethel – and her teenaged granddaughter and grandson, the latter a vaguely effeminate intellectual. As a college senior in 1973, I submitted the play to the Ottillie Grebanier Drama Award competition and won first prize and a $150 check. Jack Gelber, the playwright/​professor who judged the contest, said I should think about getting the play workshopped somewhere, but I assumed he was only being polite, and somehow I ended up throwing out my only manuscript. Other plays I wrote as a teenager were based on my dreams or on exaggerations of my family life – with sons who were afraid to leave the bathroom, parents who installed velvet ropes so that no one could come in their living rooms.

By the time I got to college, I had pretty much abandoned writing plays for fiction. In my freshman and sophomore years, I wrote a series of representational short stories about an extended family in Brooklyn, which were mostly autobiographical and mostly awful. Only one story remains from that group: “Reflections," an early version of which appeared in Brooklyn College’s undergraduate literary magazine at the end of my freshman year. Later, I revised it, and after garnering 24 rejections, it appeared in the London-based Transatlantic Review. It was the only undergraduate story in which I managed to attain an anecdotal, conversational, rambling style that was not dead on the page.

When I took my first creative writing class in college, I was so nervous about the class’s reaction to my work that I made sure I was absent on the day when the class was to go over my story. I later found out that the reactions had been generally positive, and my professor, Saul Galin, urged me to continue with creative writing courses.

Although I remained a Political Science major, I was soon taking more literature and writing courses. My Fiction Writing class with Jonathan Baumbach introduced me to the wonderful stories of Donald Barthelme and the start of my leanings toward “experimental” fiction. I discarded vague plans to attend law school and decided to apply for the first class of BC’s new MFA program in creative writing, to begin in September 1974.

I decided that in the year between my graduation with a B.A. in June 1973 and then, I needed to learn more about literature if I was going to be a writer. So I became a student in the MA program in English at Richmond College, a CUNY school then located in an office building near the ferry terminal in Staten Island. Given a new Mercury Comet for graduation, I learned to overcome my terror of driving over the monumental Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

Richmond, now part of The College of Staten Island, was an innovative institution that didn’t have letter grades – just Pass, Fail, or Honors. All my courses were in the late afternoons and evenings, and during the day I hung out in Brooklyn College’s LaGuardia Hall, where my girlfriend was managing editor of the student newspaper and where my other undergraduate friends still congregated.

I owed this luxury of time to Dad, who was still paying my expenses. Although tuition for graduate school at CUNY was not free, my parents told me I didn’t need to work.

My friend Jerry Weinberger and I were two of the seven students in the first fiction writing class of Brooklyn College’s MFA program, where Jonathan Baumbach and John Ashbery were the directors in fiction and poetry. The first stories I handed in for our workshop were fairly traditional, like the ones I’d written as an undergraduate, but as I became influenced by metafictionists like Borges, Barth, Barthelme, Hawkes, Cortazar, Coover, and Gass, my work began to loosen up, play with narrative, and comment on the process of writing fiction.

While our workshops and my tutorials with Baumbach that fall were interesting, what I loved most about the MFA program was being in a community of fledgling writers, where students took their literary aspirations seriously.

I decided that to succeed as a short story writer, I would have to produce a story a week. Terribly lazy about editing – except in my head – I wrote most of my stories in one sitting, on the floor of my little bedroom, using the Smith-Corona electric typewriter I’d gotten in high school. I almost never rewrote my stories, even if I realized they didn’t work; instead, I’d just incorporate the best elements into a new story.

I jumped at the opportunity when Baumbach asked me to work as an editorial assistant at the Fiction Collective, an authors’ book publishing cooperative he had founded along with another of our MFA professors, Peter Spielberg, and such experimental writers as Ronald Sukenick, Steve Katz, and Raymond Federman.

At the Fiction Collective I dealt with everything from handling queries from authors and writing catalog copy to planning publication parties and sending out review copies. Another aspect of my job was running the system that selected new books for publication. In order to be published, a manuscript had to get four “yes” votes from the various author-members. I sent the manuscripts out a maximum of seven times, and sometimes books were published that had gotten three “yes” votes and three “no” votes and got a final deciding “yes.” I read all the manuscripts myself to find out what other writers were doing.

I was also the preliminary judge for the Fiction Collective’s First Novel Contest. At the Manhattan office of our distributor, the publisher George Braziller, I found an office stacked top to bottom with over 400 manuscripts. My task was to whittle them down to fifty for the three final judges. Most of the novels were so badly written that I could put them aside after the first few pages, but it took weeks to cull the manuscripts. A few were so atrocious that they were actually funny. Our ultimate winner turned out to be a woman who’d recently been released from a mental hospital.

In addition to working at the Collective that first year of the MFA program, I also held a series of minimum-wage “real” jobs to help my parents defray expenses, as Dad could no longer afford to be as generous as he had been. The recession of 1974 had hit his business hard, and Art Pants ultimately couldn’t survive in the face of cheap imports and the trend toward jeans and casual pants.

I found I didn’t have the patience to stay in any of these jobs very long, but despite the bad economy, it was easy to find work for $2 an hour. I worked in the law library of the white-shoe Wall Street firm of Sullivan & Cromwell and in a Rockaway adult home for the mentally disturbed; sold pants (the same cheap double-knit polyester imports that were killing our family business) at Alexander’s Department Store in Kings Plaza; was a deliveryman for Midtown Florist and Canarsie Laundry and a messenger for the display advertising department of the Village Voice; and I shelved books in the Flatbush branch of the Brooklyn Public Library.

In March 1975, I was working in the library when I got a phone call from Eric Spector, a friend from high school and college, who said his father wanted to speak to me. Dr. Spector, chairman of the English Department at Long Island University in downtown Brooklyn, explained that a professor had died a few nights earlier on his way home from an evening composition class. Knowing I had finished my coursework for my MA in English, Dr. Spector thought I might take over the professor’s class and asked me to come in for an interview.

Wanting to make a good impression so I could get the job, I feverishly did everything I could to learn about teaching writing, from rereading Jonathan Baumbach’s book Writers as Teachers/​Teachers as Writers to consulting Susan Fromberg Schaeffer, the novelist and poet who was my MFA adviser that term. But it turned out that I needn’t have bothered: I already had the course. When I walked into the chairman’s office at LIU, Dr. Spector said, “Mr. Grayson, your students are going to eat you alive!” That was my introduction to the main criteria for hiring adjunct instructors for freshman English: one needed a master’s degree and a body temperature approaching 98.6 degrees.

My class met on Tuesdays and Thursdays after our afternoon fiction writing workshop at Brooklyn College. My students were all working adults older than I. At 23, I still looked very young, but that might have been a plus: at the end of the semester, a student told me the class assumed I had to be brilliant to be a teenaged professor.

Like many college instructors, I had no training at all in teaching methods, and I was incredibly nervous the first few sessions. At first I sat behind the desk, needing a barrier between the class and myself. Gradually I started standing up in front of the desk and relied less on The Harbrace Handbook to rule my lesson plans. Over the next three years, working at LIU, as I learned to trust my instincts and that sometimes the best classes came out of spontaneous “teachable moments,” I gradually gained confidence and began to enjoy teaching more than I’d ever thought possible.

That first semester of teaching I decided to keep my morning job at the library although it was jarring to be treated like a high school kid at one menial job and respected as a college professor at another. The dissonance finally became too much to bear one Saturday when one of my students came in to do a research paper I had assigned. A librarian ordered me over to fetch a book for my puzzled student. When I quit later that day, the head librarian said, “I guess you’re leaving to take a job at the new McDonald’s.”

LIU never paid me more than $600 per course, and given preparation time, office hours, and time spent grading papers, I sometimes wondered if flipping burgers actually was a better deal than being an adjunct. I’m sure that even today, many part-time college teachers have the same thought.

In the spring of 1975, not only did I start teaching college English, but I also had my first story published in a literary magazine, New Writers, which featured work by students in graduate writing programs. For weeks, I walked around with the letter accepting my experimental story, which said that the editors liked it “although it is a bit artsy-craftsy.”

Most of my stories were from four to twelve pages. From Writers Market I learned the format for fiction manuscripts, and from The International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses, I gathered the names of places to send them to. Although most magazines said they did not accept simultaneous submissions, I figured the odds of two magazines accepting the same story were very slim. So, upon finishing a new story, I’d take it over to the Flatbush Copy Center near BC, and for a nickel a page, I’d make five copies, which I’d then send out in manila envelopes, including the all-important stamped, self-addressed envelope.

I often tried The New Yorker or The Atlantic or Harper’s first, but except for an occasional handwritten comment on a rejection notice, I knew my chances of my getting noticed by the slick magazines were not good because of the number of submissions they received and the quirkiness and quality of my fiction. I have never fooled myself about my place in the literary food chain, and I knew I didn’t match up to “real” writers like those published in The New Yorker.

My strategy, therefore, was based on quantity rather than quality. I’d read how William Saroyan once had written thirty stories in a month, sending each one of them out to a magazine. While I couldn’t be that prolific, I tried my best. In the late 1970s there were numerous literary journals, thanks to generous government arts funding. Sometimes instead of just getting copies of the issue my story appeared in – the usual remuneration – I received checks of $25 or $50, because grants from the National Endowment of the Arts required payment to contributors.

I didn’t distinguish between the more prestigious university-sponsored journals and the homemade little magazines of cranky or brilliant individual editor-publishers. I got tons of rejections – many form rejections, others cruel or condescending, some encouraging – sometimes as many as ten a day, but eventually there were a lot of acceptances, too.

So I published in places as relatively well-known as Epoch, Shenandoah, and Texas Quarterly and as obscure as Nausea Review, Street Bagel, and Coffee Break. I had stories in Webster Review, Westbere Review, and Westerly Review; Canadian Jewish Dialog, Mississippi Mud, and Nantucket Review; Writ, Iron, Mati, and Ataraxia.

By my second year of the MFA program, I was no longer writing for my classmates. It took the sting out of negative criticism of my work when I could end the workshop by telling my classmates that the story they had just disparaged had already been accepted by California Quarterly or Panache.

Within a few years, I had published over 100 stories in little magazines and caught the attention of people in the small press scene, which in the 1970s was largely a counterculture movement whose Woodstock was the annual New York Book Fair, held in places like the old Customs House downtown, the Huntington Hartford building on Columbus Circle, the basement of Lincoln Center, and the Seventh Regiment Armory on Park Avenue. I loved these events, as I got to meet the poets and fiction writers and editors with whom I’d corresponded or whose works I’d found in the same journals I had been published in.

Year-round there were good places in New York to find little magazines and small press books, giving me an advantage over fledgling writers in other parts of the country. I would often prowl the shelves of Frances Steloff’s Gotham Book Mart on West 47th Street, on a block otherwise filled with diamond merchants; E.S. Wilentz’s Eighth Street Bookshop, owned by the father of a Midwood classmate; and the free library in the offices of the Coordinating Council of Literary Magazines, where I worked in the summer of 1976 as the preliminary judge of their college literary magazine awards.

Publishing in obscure magazines gave me a sense of freedom. I didn’t really think anyone would actually read my work, so I could make embarrassing revelations about myself or avoid changing the names of my friends and family. I could take my stories in crazy directions – like admitting at the end of one that the story was falling apart and asking the editor to take pity on me and publish it anyway. The playfulness and vitality in my naïve early work would become hard to replicate once I began thinking of myself as an “author.”

Although I’d driven to Miami Beach with friends for the 1972 Democratic convention and to a Washington, D.C., vacation with Randy, I still had fears of traveling and rarely left the New York metropolitan area. But in 1977 I got a National Arts Club scholarship to the Bread Loaf Writers Conference in Middlebury, Vermont. A year out of the MFA program, I sort of missed writing workshops, and I was looking forward to attending classes with famous authors like led by John Gardner and Stanley Elkin.

However, I got off to a bad start when, following Elkin’s lecture on the craft of fiction, I piped up from the audience of a hundred novice writers to ask, “Mr. Elkin, does a story need a beginning, a middle and an end, and if so, should they be in that order?”

“That’s the stupidest question I’ve ever gotten in all my years of teaching writing,” Elkin replied, and the crowd snickered.

Given the fiction I’d been writing, the question had seemed eminently reasonable to me.

While I thrilled to hear John Irving and Toni Morrison read from the novels-in-progress that would eventually become two of my favorite books, The World According to Garp and Song of Solomon, I was too socially inept to make any connections with the established writers at Bread Loaf.

I felt more comfortable with my peers in the small press world. In the summer of 1978, George Myers, Jr., who had published one of my pieces in his X: A Journal of the Arts, wanted to use some grant money to do a special issue of his magazine devoted to my work. The magazine – six stories I called Disjointed Fictions – was rather raggedy-looking, but I was still proud of it. A few years later, George reprinted the issue as a chapbook with a more professional-looking typeface and format.

As I was typing up Disjointed Fictions, I got a letter from Louis Strick, the president of Taplinger, a commercial publisher in Manhattan. He had read one of my stories in Epoch and asked if I had a book manuscript. I wrote back that I assumed he was interested only in a novel and that unfortunately, I wasn’t a novelist – but that I did have about 150 stories of varying quality.

Mr. Strick replied to what he called my “diffident” letter – I had to explain to my parents what “diffident” meant – by asking to see a manuscript. I then sent him all the stories I’d ever published: photocopied pages from the magazines, in different typefaces, plus the typed manuscripts of the stories I hadn’t yet placed. Not discouraged with this unprofessional-looking mass, Mr. Strick told me he’d turn it all over to his son, Wesley, who had just graduated NYU’s publishing program and was joining the firm as an editor.

Wesley Strick called in September and asked to meet me. By then I’d left LIU to teach remedial writing at CUNY schools. On Rosh Hashona, as I climbed the stairs to Wes’s Upper East Side apartment, I had the irrational thought, “This could be a trap.” At a nearby restaurant, Wes showed me a paper containing title With Hitler in New York and Other Stories and the table of contents for the stories he’d selected for the book. I was flabbergasted.

When our waiter came to take our order, I recognized him as a former P.S. 203 classmate. After telling him who I was, I introduced Wes as “my editor.” I felt foolish, but saying it made it sound slightly more real to me.

Over the next month or so, Wes and I worked on the manuscript sentence by sentence. One disadvantage of publishing in little magazines was that the editors almost always took the stories as I’d written them. No one before Wes had pointed out the problems in my published fiction, like the way I often didn’t know how to end a story. During the editing and book production process, afraid of disappointment, I wouldn’t let myself believe it was really happening – despite evidence such as the whimsical cover designed by Wes’s sister Ivy, the promotional copy in Taplinger’s spring catalog, and the payment of my $500 advance in two installments.

One May afternoon, after I’d given my spring remedial writing course at Brooklyn College its final exam, Wes called to say that the book was in. I zoomed into Manhattan. Upon seeing a copy of Hitler, I blurted out, “It looks like a real book.”

“We’ve cleverly disguised it,” Wes told me.

The back cover was blank, because other Taplinger editors thought my photograph made me look too babyish – a drawback at a time when publishers rarely emphasized the youth of their new authors. Wes gave me the six author’s copies specified in my contract, and in my room that night, I put them on my shelves among books by what I still thought of as “real” authors.

On June 15, I went to the beach in Rockaway with some lesbian friends. “Today’s the book’s official publication date,” I told them. “Don’t you think something should be happening to me today?”

“It is,” one friend said. “You’re getting sunburned.”

When Hitler came out in 1979, publishers brought out only one-third the number of books published today. The New York Times then published a listing of “Recently Published Books” – which now seems as musty a relic as its daily listing of ocean liners’ arrivals and departures. (I’ve been a New York Times reader ever since ninth grade, when our English teacher, Mrs. Sanjour, regularly quizzed us on the Sunday paper’s contents.) The listing was the only mention my book got in the Times, but – shy only in person and not in letters – I pestered gossip columnists and book editors at other papers to mention or review Hitler. Taplinger was not a major publisher, and I wanted to make sure my book got noticed.

Late one night, my friend Stephen LiMandri, who ran the newsstand at the Abbey-Victoria Hotel, called to tell me I was in Liz Smith’s column in the next day’s Daily News. Liz Smith called my book “really funny” and compared me to Steve Martin. Quoting my letter, she said she couldn’t resist an author who said he lived with in Brooklyn with his family, “poor but honest and gossip-loving people.” Unfortunately, the plug didn’t help sales, as Hitler was not yet in any stores.

When my book finally arrived in the Waldenbooks in Kings Plaza, my parents kept going into the store and buying copies, believing it would somehow stimulate demand.

Following a series of business reverses – the demise of Art Pants Company and The Pants Set stores, bad investments in a racehorse that constantly needed surgery and a Catskills hotel my parents had to sell for a dollar to the Mafia (who made an offer they couldn’t refuse) – Dad was hired as the Florida sales rep for a clothing company owned by the father of one of my friends. Grandma Sylvia and Grandpa Nat had moved to their South Florida condo several years before, and in 1979 my parents decided to sell our Brooklyn house and buy a townhouse in Davie, a Fort Lauderdale suburb.

I had to figure out what to do with my life, as my prolonged adolescence seemed over. I applied for full-time positions as an English professor, but the only job offer I got was for a one-semester gig as a visiting writer-in-residence at Texas Women’s University. I probably should have taken it, but I was too scared to go off by myself to Denton, Texas, even for six months.

I decided to stay in New York City, where part-time teaching jobs were plentiful. In the fall of 1979, I found a studio for $240 a month right on the boardwalk in Rockaway. It was far from Manhattan – where I’d be working at the School of Visual Arts – but it was in familiar territory, with Grandpa Herb and Grandma Ethel less than a mile away. My brother Marc rented a basement in Brooklyn, near Kingsborough Community College, where I was also teaching. Jonathan, who had just graduated from high school, went to Florida with our parents to start Broward Community College.

Although I was 28 years old, in many ways I was still a boy, and it was hard for me to live on my own that fall. After spending my Christmas vacation at my parents’ new townhouse in Davie, I returned to the cold winter of New York and developed labyrinthitis, an ear infection, which left me with severe vertigo for months. Expected courses hadn’t materialized for the spring term, and I was teaching only one course each for the School of Visual Arts and for Touro College, where my paychecks bounced. Money was scarce, and as the summer of 1980 approached, I was dizzy, depressed, unemployed, on food stamps, and unable to write.

A welcome respite was a residency for June at The MacDowell Colony in Peterborough, New Hampshire. My studio in the woods was the same one where Thornton Wilder had composed Our Town. After a rocky start in which I could not write at all the first week – and gnashed my teeth so much that I had to see a local dentist – I dreamed an 18-page story which later won a magazine contest and then produced a story a day for the next seven days. I also had the stimulating company of other writers, as well as composers, painters, sculptors and filmmakers. MacDowell made me feel like a creative artist and not a poverty-stricken nobody. Future residencies at MacDowell and other artists’ colonies continued to have that nurturing effect.

But the rest of the summer of 1980 was difficult, and in the fall, to aid my finances, I took on as many adjunct courses – all in remedial writing – as I could. On Thursdays, for example, I would leave my apartment in Rockaway at 7 a.m., drive over the bridge to teach an 8 a.m. class at Brooklyn College, take the subway to teach two classes at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, return to BC to teach a class in the early evening, and then drive to a Brooklyn high school to teach a continuing education course for Kingsborough, getting home after 11 p.m.
By then I was used to the low level of my students’ writing – that term I had to explain the difference between a, an, and and – but I was constantly grading papers and did not have time to write.

By then With Hitler in New York was long out of the stores, and Wes was leaving his father’s publishing company to work on his own career as a writer. (He would eventually have great success in Los Angeles as the screenwriter of such movies as Cape Fear, Arachnophobia and Return to Paradise.) On one of his last days on the job, Wes told me that Taplinger’s scheduled trade paperback edition of Hitler had been canceled. That was the day I decided to leave New York and move to Florida once the hectic fall semester was over. I needed a change and I missed my family.

In January 1981, my friend Nina Mule threw me a surprise farewell party in her Manhattan apartment. I handed in my final grades, put my furniture on a truck headed for Florida, and left Rockaway to join my parents in the Fort Lauderdale suburbs.

I’d always hated the cold and snow of winters, so I was thrilled to be in South Florida. My room at my parents’ house had a screened-in terrace overlooking a brace of palm trees. Davie was then more rural than suburban, an old cowboy town filled with rednecks and horse farms. Jewish senior citizens and snowbirds dominated neighboring towns.

I somehow walked into a job teaching composition at Broward Community College, taking over a class a few weeks after the semester began. The pay was minimal, but so were my expenses. I still enjoyed teaching, but now I also had time to work on the collection of stories that Kevin Urick – another writer/​editor who’d published my fiction in his literary magazine – was considering for his White Ewe Press.

Florida was glorious in the winter, but the heat and humidity were less attractive by May, when the term at BCC ended. I returned to New York and spent two months at Marc’s apartment in Brooklyn and Nina’s on the Upper West Side before a July residency at the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.

I’d been applying to universities for creative writing jobs, but the only job offer I had for the fall was as my friend Tom Whalen’s half-time assistant at New Orleans’ arts high school, NOCCA, where I’d guest-taught in his rigorous creative writing program. In early August, I returned to Florida, uneasy about my prospects.

A few days after my arrival at my parents’ house, I was reading The Miami Herald at breakfast and spotted a news item announcing state arts council fellowship winners. When I saw “Richard Grayson, Davie, $3000,” I started jumping around and yelling so much, Mom thought I was having some kind of attack. I had forgotten I’d applied for the Florida fellowship, assuming I’d have no more success than I had in my many grant applications in New York State.

I would have to remain in the state to accept the fellowship money, but giving up the part-time job in New Orleans was no problem. After reading a newspaper interview with me about my grant, the BCC English Department head offered me a one-year position as a full-time instructor. With the fellowship and my $13,000 teaching salary, I could afford to get my own place, a rented condo among elderly neighbors in Sunrise Golf Village.

I stayed on at Broward Community College for three annual temporary contracts. As an English instructor, I taught twelve classes a year, almost all of freshman composition or remedial writing, with nearly 30 students in each class. I sometimes felt as if I was constantly grading essays. I loved the classroom, but marking papers infringed on much of my free time.

Because I still thought of myself as a writer, I chose not to apply for BCC’s permanent full-time English Department positions. I lived one year at a time, with at least part of the summer off, to spend in New York or at artists’ colonies. The early 1980s were a fairly stable period in my life, but the deaths of Grandma Sylvia and Grandpa Herb made me realize that I needed to stop thinking of myself as a kid.

In 1982 White Ewe Press brought out my second hardcover collection, Lincoln’s Doctor’s Dog. Later that year, Jerry Weinberger’s Grinning Idiot Press published my satiric chapbook, Eating at Arby’s: The South Florida Stories. I provoked some outrage by using my fellowship money to fund these banal vignettes critical of South Florida told in the style of a first-grade primer. Generally, however, local readers got the joke, and the book sold out after I appeared on Neil Rogers’s popular radio show.

The next year, Zephyr Press – run by my friends Ed Hogan and Miriam Sagan from the Boston literary magazine Aspect – published I Brake for Delmore Schwartz. I flew to New York in March 1983, staying in Rockaway with Grandma Ethel, for my first publication party and reading, at the B. Dalton store in the Village. Seeing a whole window display dedicated to my book and having Dad and so many friends from all different parts of my life at the party made me feel blessed.

In New York in the late 1970s, I had started doing what I called “publicity art” by sending out press releases commenting on issues in the news. In 1979, I filed with the Federal Elections Commission to run for Vice President of the United States, a stunt that got me into The New York Times and The National Enquirer. NBC President Fred Silverman and Gloria Vanderbilt tried to sue me when I formed political committees touting them as candidates for, respectively, the Presidency and the United State Senate.

Other publicity stunts followed. When New York Mayor Ed Koch prevailed on the city’s public radio station to air “The John Hour,” in which men arrested for soliciting prostitutes would have their names read over the air, The New York Post printed the story of how I wanted my name read on the show despite not having been arrested “because I deserve to be publicly humiliated.” In another self-manufactured scandal, The Post supposedly exposed me as a “literary imposter” trying to publish a defamatory article about respected authors called “The Weird Sex Lives of Jewish-American Novelists.” The Post’s Page Six gossip column soon began referring to me as “playful prankster Richard Grayson.”

While my grandparents were still alive, I formed “international” fan clubs for them and sent out press releases that resulted in media attention. Grandpa Herb and Grandma Ethel told their life stories on Barry Farber’s nationally syndicated radio program. The Miami News published a story on the Sylvia Ginsberg International Fan Club on its front page while The Miami Herald printed a photo of me kissing Grandma Sylvia – who hated to be kissed, believing it spread germs.

Campaigning for the Davie Town Council in 1982, I advocated giving horses the right to vote. My platform consisted mainly of bad puns, like pledging to vote “neigh” on everything till horse suffrage was passed, offering the town a “more stable” form of government, and in the end forgoing campaign speeches because I had “become a little hoarse myself.” I got 26% of the vote as the media routinely covered my antics.

In 1983, I registered as a Presidential candidate, and articles about me appeared in dozens of periodicals, from People and USA Today to Time and The Wall Street Journal. I churned out one press release after another: starting the Committee for Immediate Nuclear War (which for years was listed in the reference book The Encyclopedia of Associations); advocating that the U.S. capital move to Davenport, Iowa; supporting the admission of El Salvador as the 51st state; proposing a Devil Broadcasting Network to compete with religious TV stations. On the Florida primary ballot as a candidate for delegate to the Democratic convention (supporting myself), I received over 2,000 votes – but Mom, whose name I had put on the ballot as a candidate for alternate delegate, got twice as many votes as I did.

As the decade wore on, my publicity stunts dealt more and more with the economy. In 1988, I panhandled in front of the New York Stock Exchange, begging for $27.5 billion dollars so I could launch a hostile takeover bid for RJR Nabisco; Business Week called my stunt “social commentary on Wall Street.” Two years later, I appeared on CNN and in The New York Times, touting my Pauper Magazine, the poor man’s answer to all the “lifestyles of the rich and famous” publications. I also got media exposure as the head of the Donald Trump Rescue Fund, formed to help out the real estate magnate during his time of financial difficulty.

A prank in the spring of 1984 – a letter I’d written to Florida state senators on Broward Community College stationery asking for their participation in an academic study I called “Legislators in Love” – led to political outrage, threatened cuts to BCC’s budget, and a banner headline in the Orlando Sentinel (“Prof’s Love Quiz Stirs Only a What’s That?!”). Knowing I wouldn’t be asked back to teach at BCC in the fall, I gave up my apartment in North Miami Beach at the end of May, put my stuff in storage, and went to Manhattan to apartment-sit for Nina for six weeks while she toured Europe.

Those six weeks turned into six years, as 350 West 85th Street became my part-time address for the rest of the decade. The Upper West Side in the 1980s was an exciting place, and Nina was an incredibly generous host and roommate. Since she spent most of the summer at her beach house in Fire Island, I had the apartment to myself much of the time. When she was home, I slept on the living room couch or a futon on the floor.

Congenitally lazy, I spent the rest of my thirties like the retired South Florida snowbirds who came to Fort Lauderdale to escape the Northern winters but who returned to New York when the summer heat and humidity started to get uncomfortable.

I survived financially by relying on income from adjunct courses, student loans, unemployment insurance, state arts council awards from Florida and New York, and credit card cash advances. At one time I had over 40 MasterCards and Visas; I wrote articles about this (“You’ve Got to Give Me Credit” and “Guess How I Got Rich Without Working”) for national magazines under the pen name Gary Richardson.

I had my New York City life and my South Florida life. I taught English courses part-time in both places, more because I enjoyed teaching writing than because of the still-pitiful adjunct pay. I even went back to BCC in 1987, teaching in the evenings and later as an occasional full-time substitute instructor for professors on sabbatical.

My first stint at BCC had given me the opportunity to learn how to use personal computers. As my interest in using computers in education grew, I started taking graduate courses in the subject. From 1984 to 1990, I earned over 50 graduate credits in educational technology from Teachers College at Columbia University and two Florida universities.

This interest led to a part-time job as a facilitator of teacher training workshops in computer education in the Miami public school district. I traveled to schools in Little Havana, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and Liberty City to instruct teachers on the use of the Apple IIe and the IBM PC computers. I taught word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and educational software as well as programming in the Basic and Logo computer languages.

It was a thrill to empower computer-shy teachers who started off worried they would break the machines by turning them on. These workshops didn’t require me to mark papers or give final grades, so I had the pleasure of teaching without the drudgery.

I took less pleasure in writing fiction. It seemed easier and more rewarding to write a satirical People article on an alleged celebrity shortage or my humor column for The Hollywood Sun-Tattler. Still, I managed to produce occasional stories when I felt I had something to say. For a Computers and Writing course at Teachers College, I wrote a long story about an AIDS death, “I Survived Caracas Traffic,” which appeared in The Florida Review and helped get me a second individual artist fellowship from the state of Florida in 1988.

That same year I scored a Writer-in-Residence Award from the New York State Council on the Arts. Working for the Rockland Center for the Arts, I went into schools in suburban Rockland County and experienced the joy of teaching children. My second-graders produced delightful, cleverly naive stories that we collected into a book.

The late 1980s were fun-filled years. My father was doing well as a salesman for such designer labels of men’s clothing as Sasson, Bugle Boy and Guess. Mom and Dad bought a large four-bedroom house. They also followed Jonathan’s lead and became strict vegetarians and animal rights enthusiasts who gradually acquired a dog, three cats, and two rabbits. When I was in New York, I made regular visits to Rockaway to spend weekends with Grandma Ethel, and I was an unofficial member of Nina’s close Italian family and got to share in their celebrations of holidays, birthdays and anniversaries.

But these fun years were coming to an end. I realized that my credit card chassis – paying off one card with a cash advance from another – would ultimately end and I’d have to declare bankruptcy during the next recession. I assumed – correctly, as it turned out – that I could do so in a time when so many others were going broke that my filing would hardly be noticed. Nina had decided to give up her Manhattan apartment and move to Long Island. Grandma Ethel also was moving to Long Island, into an adult home in the Five Towns where she lived out her life happily, her lifelong depression successfully treated with medication. Watching Grandma Ethel establish new friendships after age 80 convinced me that it’s never too late to make a new life.

In the fall of 1990, I moved in my parents again and declared bankruptcy. My computer training jobs had dried up, but I got a full-time position back at BCC, taking over for a professor on sick leave. I attended a series of Fort Lauderdale obscenity trials involving the rap group 2 Live Crew, an experience which led to an article in New York Newsday, kindled an interest in hip-hop culture, and revived an ambition I had put aside years before: attending law school.

In April 1991, while I was on my first trip to California, visiting friends and teaching at a Long Beach State writers’ conference coordinated by Linda Konner, Dad called with the news that the University of Florida law school had accepted me. Luckily, I managed to get a scholarship that would help defray expenses.

I spent one last summer in New York. Grandma Ethel had held on to her subsidized apartment in Rockaway, and I lived there for several months, visiting her at the adult home and taking the long subway ride into Manhattan to visit friends. I was very nervous about moving to Gainesville in North Central Florida, but every change in my life – even short trips – had engendered anxiety.

At dinner at a sidewalk café in the Village, I told Linda I had no intention of ever practicing law.

“Then why are you going to law school?” she asked me.

“To have fun,” I replied.

Linda looked dubious, and frankly, I shared her skepticism. But I figured I would try one semester of law school and leave if I didn’t like it.

Law school turned out to be more fun than I could have imagined, and somehow I easily adjusted to life on my own in a classic college town. The life of a new law student is so hectic, I had no time to think about being away from my friends or family or have regrets about not being a writer anymore.

Law school courses were harder than any I’d ever taken – often I had trouble keeping up with class discussions – yet they provided incredible intellectual stimulation. I also liked being in a community of students again.

After the first semester, returning from a three-week Christmas vacation in New York, I discovered that my grades were good. I won book awards, prizes for the highest grade on a final exam, in Criminal Law and Jurisprudence.

While I loved law in a theoretical, intellectual sense, this didn’t mean I wanted to practice law. I didn’t want to dress up in a suit and tie, putting in long hours doing what seemed like drudgery. In spite of myself, I still longed for the life of a writer.
Near the end of my first year in law school, in response to a call for stories about Barbie for an anthology edited by my friends Rick Peabody and Lucinda Ebersole, I produced “Twelve Step Barbie” – the first fiction I’d written in two years. When Mondo Barbie received enthusiastic reviews, some of which singled out my story, I realized I could still be a writer – sort of.

***Continued in MORE STUFF (see main menu, way up above on the left)*****

Selected Works

Quick Links

Find Authors